The PG Department of English and Research Centre is one of the prestigious and earliest departments of the college. It has an illustrious tradition since its inception in 1949. Eminent English professors who left their indelible mark in academic and literary field had taught in this department. Late Professor G.Kumarapillai, the eminent poet of Malayalam, Late Shri.T.Ramachandran, a short story writer of repute, Prof. Vishnu Narayanan Namboodiri and many other eminent teachers were faculty members in this department. The Department is the direct inheritance of the legacy of the founder Edward Brennen whose mission was to impart sound English education to boys of all caste, creed and colour. Hundreds of English Teachers of Kannur district are the products of Brennen. The Department offered B.A English Language and Literature until 1995. In 1996, the Course was restructured as B.A Functional English. M.A English Language & Literature course was begun in 1998. The department was upgraded into a Research Centre in 2001.